July 31, 2010

Reasons Why I Should've Stayed in Bed on Thursday


When it rains it pours! I think the graphic t-shirt I chose for the day says it all: "I should have stayed in bed!" It seems that things kept piling up from morning until night. Here are the top reasons I should have stayed in bed on Thursday.

1. Austin and I went to do laundry at the laundromat. He had to go to class, so I put the clothes in the dryer and expected them to be dry when I returned from dropping Austin off. Well, one of the dryers didn't dry our clothes at all and I had to add another 45 minutes to my day at the laundromat.

2. I talked with every member of my family, some of which were 2 or 3 times. That's not the bad thing. The bad thing was as I was talking to Lisa, my phone went on the blitz. Some moisture got behind the buttons and now my phone doesn't work. I didn't save any of the numbers either, so all my contacts are probably lost.

3. I saw my cousin Benjamin had called, so I tried to contact him by e-mail to invite him to a family outing. Unfortunately, I e-mailed an old BYU buddy named Benjamin instead. I hadn't talked to this friend for years. He was very confused and told me he wouldn't be able to attend the family outing because he was at the hospital with his wife who was in labor with their second daughter. Oops!

4. I went to pick up Austin from class and didn't have any way to let him know I was in the parking lot. After waiting a good 20 minutes or so, I decided to go into the Institute and call his cell phone. The courtesy phone didn't work very well and Austin could barely hear me, but he got the gist and I was able to pick him up. As a side note, after all the running around thus far, I was pretty thirsty, and the Institute drinking fountain was broken.

5. Austin and I decided to go to the temple and when we got there, there was a 30-45 minute wait to do some temple work. I had never seen the temple so busy. Apparently the surrounding temples were closed for cleaning or something, so we had double the patronage. By now things were starting to get comical and I had to do all I could to not start laughing in the sacred temple.

6. Since we were running around all day, we didn't have the air conditioner window unit going at our apartment. Needless to say, Austin and I were tossing and turning during the night, waking each other up continually because we were too hot and couldn't get comfortable. It was the perfect end to a less than perfect day.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

That sounds pretty incredible! Hopefully you got all the bad luck taken care of on one day, so the rest of the week will be perfect!

Nelson Nitwits said...

Man! I'm glad you wrote this all down because someday you'll need another good laugh. This is perfect tv sitcom material - minus the temple of course (we'll substitute a wedding scene where you also shouldn't be laughing and the wedding chapel was accidentally double-booked). Okay, your part will be played by Candace Cameron or Hilary Duff and Austin will be played by Matthew Broderick or Patrick Stump according to myheritage.com celebrity look alikes. :) Sorry you had such a bad day and I hope it never happens again (but I hope you tell the story over and over)!

Megan said...

Wow, sounds like you certainly filled your quota of bad luck for awhile. I'm glad it was mostly an accumulation of little things and nothing too traumatic. {I hope your phone isn't a too expensive fix!} I love that you included all the little details. =)

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath