July 16, 2011

High School Reunion


Saturday was my 10 year high school reunion. I didn't go.

I've been debating with myself for the past year whether going to my reunion was worth it to me or not. The pros would be to see how everyone has changed and to be able to come full circle with my adolescent life. I could make connections with people I haven't talked to since graduation and reminisce on high school antics. The cons would be to see everyone and really not feel connected. In general, I was more quiet and kept to myself in school (unless you were a close friend of mine), hence people who didn't know me well would write I had a "sweet spirit" in my yearbook every year. It's not a memory I relish. I am also in a different phase in life than a lot of my high school peers. I am a career woman without children. It's really uncomfortable reuniting with people who have had most of their children already and are in the parenting phase of life. I reunited with a few of my close high school friends at our 5K run/walk fundraiser. I feel like I've already had my reunion because I got to see most of my friends that I really connected with in high school there.

I weighed my pros and cons and the cons won. I feel I really don't need to go back to my high school days and relive the "glory" of adolescence. High school was a very awkward time in my life.

Did you go to your 10 year reunion? I would be interested to know what your ideas are on the subject.

--Amanda

5 comments:

Aaron and Lisa said...

I didn't go to my 10 year since we live so far away. I heard that it was very clicky. Our 5 year was fun to go to however.

Mommy Named Meg said...

I don't plan on going to mine either. High School is over and I'm so grateful for that. I figure the few friends whom I've kept in touch with over the years are the only ones i'd like to see, but I obviously already keep in touch with them. So what's the point? It's just a comparability game. Who's better than who? Who has the best kids? The best husband? The best career? The nicest house? The most money? The best life? I had enough of that while in High School. I'm finally happy with who I am. I don't need a reunion with the people that made me doubt that in the first place to make me question that again. Besides with Facebook and Blogs these days are reunions even necessary?

Nelson Nitwits said...

Nah, I didn't go to my five year or my ten year. Funny though, I've gotten to the point that I probably could go to a reunion and see people as just "people" instead of whatever I thought of them in high school. I bet in a while you'll feel that way, but for me, it's taken this long. :)Oh, and I think Facebook and blogs keep us in touch pretty well with the people we want to stay in touch with. I think if I went to a reunion now it would really be like meeting people for the first time, because who of us is still the person we were in high school?

Jake and Aleesa said...

I didn't go to mine either! I had just married Jake and while I knew Dustin wouldn't be there I didn't want to talk about him. Plus, with Facebook I've gotten in touch with everyone I want to anyway.

On another note, I suck! I'm just now realizing I never called you back! Its been a crazy summer with Jake working tons!

Cambria said...

I did just go to my 10 year reunion. . .and then the choir I was in just did a 10 year reunion last weekend that I went to as well. I was glad I went to the reunion to see a few close friends that I haven't kept up with (like Marc and his posse), but I was surprised how the same groups that hung out in high school hung out together at the reunion. I guess I assumed everyone would try to talk to everybody else. I think next time there is one I will just go talk to whoever, but I didn't feel the need this time. My choir reunion, though was really fun since it was more intimate and personal, and a lot of people that didn't go to the reunion did come to that.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath